Live like royalty in The Castle at Valle Crucis! This breathtaking home, perched on a mountaintop overlooking peaceful Valle Crucis, is more than just your next vacation home: it’s a truly one-of-a-kind, carefully crafted destination offering over 10,000 square feet of living space, tasteful furnishings, game room, theater room, 5 fireplaces, hot tub, and long range mountain views.
Enter the Castle via a stone patio to imported antique wooden double door archway and antique imported church doors. The foyer has 24 foot ceilings and paneling imported from England, polished wood floors, enormous chandelier, grand staircase to the second floor, and an elevator. A knight’s suit of armor waits to greet you, and a striking half-bath is located around the corner with a toilet and bidet.
To the right of the foyer is the grand ballroom, arranged as a welcoming living space with parquet hardwood floors and three distinct seating areas as well as a stone gas log fireplace. The furnishings in this room, as throughout the entire home, are exquisite antique and vintage pieces. Overhead are three crystal antique chandeliers. There are two sets of glass double doors leading to the verandah outside.
The covered verandah is a wonderful place to gather rain or shine. It is dominated by a breathtaking wood burning fireplace over 400 years old, imported from Italy and originally used in a monastery. There is a selection of patio furnishings as well as a picnic table here ready for you to relax and enjoy the cool mountain breezes and beautiful views. Out here you’ll also find a gas grill and an 8-person Four Winds Spas hot tub.
Back inside, off the ballroom is the formal dining room, with another beautiful chandelier, a long dining table, and 10 plush chairs. There is a second dining area by the kitchen, with a table for 8 next to a decorative fireplace and the walk in pantry with ample storage space. The showstopping kitchen is a chef’s dream, featuring exposed beams, stone tile floors, yards of blue granite counters, professional grade stainless steel appliances including a 7-burner gas range and a Subzero French door refrigerator, double ovens, pot filler, 3-basin copper sink, custom cabinets, and all the appliances, equipment, and dishes you’ll need to create delicious meals.
A few steps from the kitchen is a sunroom with wrought iron windows and stone walls, featuring a breakfast table for 4 as well as a door to the parking area. You’ll also find a huge laundry room and access to the two-car garage, as well as the Morganite Pink Room with Queen bed and Roku TV and its next-door full bathroom with tub/shower and bidet.
Around the corner from the sunroom is the library. Created to be a fun gathering space for all ages while evoking the hazy pubs of olde England, here you’ll find built in shelves with over 2,000 books, a gas log fireplace with a big TV over the mantle, a pool table over a plush Oriental rug, a sitting area, plaster molded ceilings, and there’s even a vintage tobacco Native American statue keeping silent watch in the corner.
The second floor of The Castle, accessed either by the grand staircase or by the paneled elevator, offers several luxurious sleeping accommodations.
The primary suite, the Emerald Green Room, encompasses the entire area over the ballroom and offers a King bed, carved antique marble fireplace, TV with cable and Roku, makeup vanity table bathed in natural light from the large windows, a sitting area, private balcony, and an oversized walk-in closet. Its private ensuite bath features twin pedestal sinks, an antique clawfoot iron glamour soaking tub, separate glassed in shower, and a water closet with toilet and bidet.
The second suite on this floor, the Peridot Green room, offers a King bed, TV with cable and Roku, private balcony, and a private bathroom with a toilet, bidet, and a tub/shower with waterfall head.
The third suite on this floor, the Ruby Red Room, offers a King bed, TV with cable and Roku, and a private bathroom with a toilet, bidet, laundry chute, and a tub/shower.
The fourth and fifth bedrooms on this floor, the Jade Green Room and the Amethyst Purple Room, share access to the fourth full bathroom with tub/shower with rainhead showerhead, toilet, and bidet. The Grass Green Room has two Queen beds and a Roku TV, and the Purple Room has a King bed and Roku TV.
The top floor of The Castle has been converted into an amazing game and theater room! The walls are lined with framed authentic theater-used movie posters. Up here you will find another half bathroom, ping pong table, bumper pool table, air hockey, card table, a leather sectional couch and 4 theater-style reclining seats facing a huge TV, a snack bar with mini-fridge and a microwave, and a workout area with yoga mats, dumbbells, water cooler, and its own little TV for inspirational workout videos.
Looking for a unique destination for a small wedding? The Castle is available for weddings of less than 50 total people! Additional costs and rules will apply. Contact our Reservations team for more information.
The Castle at Valle Crucis is located just minutes from the heart of historic Valle Crucis in the scenic community of Matney. A short hike to a scenic waterfall is just down the road, along with the beautiful Valle Crucis Community Park where you can fish, have a picnic, and play at the playground. Downtown Banner Elk is just 10 minutes away, as well. Boone and Blowing Rock are about 20-25 minutes away.
Don’t wait – book your next getaway to The Castle today and live like royalty!
- To reach The Castle, you will need to climb the mountain! The driveway is paved but it is one lane, very steep, and it has multiple switchbacks. It is navigable with a regular car. All vehicles coming during the winter months absolutely must come with 4WD or AWD and tires with good tread, and chains will also be necessary during winter months. Vehicles over 20 feet in length should not try to navigate this driveway.
- The Castle offers ample open-air paved parking for 6-7 vehicles, as well as space for 2 vehicles in the garage that guests may use. Also in the garage are about 70 folding chairs and 8 folding tables that may be used on the outdoor verandah for small weddings.
- The elevator may be used by adults only. Children are not to use the elevator without adult supervision.
- All reservations at The Castle are subject to a $1,500 refundable security deposit.
- The Castle is equipped with many valuable and irreplaceable antique pieces of art and furniture. Children should absolutely be always kept under supervision and not allowed to horseplay.
- Due to its size and scale, same-day turnarounds are not permitted. A minimum of one day block will be required between all reservations.
- The only TVs in The Castle that offer cable TV are noted in the description. All other TVs offer Roku streaming services.
- All BRMR homes offer well stocked kitchens with all utensils needed to cook meals. There is also a "starter set" of paper products at the house: a roll of toilet paper per bath, a couple garbage bags, a small vial of dishwashing liquid, a few tablets of dishwasher detergent, some laundry pods, a roll of paper towels, hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and some makeup remover cloths. There are enough of these items for one night, or maybe two.
- Firewood may be purchased at the time of booking or with a week's notice. You will receive two wrapped, kiln-dried bundles and a firestarter for $25 plus tax per night.
- Towels and linens will be provided for you.
- This property is not pet friendly. Thank you for not bringing pets into this home.
- Please observe a quiet hour of 10PM as there are full time residents in the valley below, and sound travels quite far in these mountains.