Legend has it that infamous moonshiner, Milo Terry, once frequented this mountain cabin in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains to escape from everyday bootleggin’ life and savor the fruits of his labor.
Whether true or not (it’s not), this 1900 era mountain cabin now offers a quaint and cozy escape to the hustle and bustle of present-day life. Feel secluded amongst the foliage while remaining proximate to everything the greater Boone, NC area has to offer. Enjoy a number of moonshine-themed rooms complete with hidden finds and well-adorned décor plus an expansive outdoor area that boasts a premium hot tub, outdoor games, access to a private creek, and a wood-burning fire pit.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This house was built in 1900. It’s old. Rooms are smaller, floors squeak, doors don’t quite align, there can be chills and drafts in the winter, and nothing is square or plumb – especially the floor upstairs (there is a notable tilt). If you would prefer a modern, luxury, cabin experience we encourage you to explore all that the greater Boone area has to offer. However, for those who appreciate the rustic ambience of century+ old house – like we do – then we think you’ll feel right at home here at Moonshiner’s Retreat. It’s a great place to disconnect from the modern world and reconnect with friends and family over a mason jar.
2 Bedrooms | 2 Bathrooms | Full Kitchen + Laundry | Shared Living Space and a Large Outdoor Area
Hide out from Johnny Law while enjoying a few excellent amenities:
- Parking for 2-3 vehicles in a private front yard
- Free Wi-Fi
- Individual HVAC control through 4 Mini-Split units
- Complementary bed linens, bathing towels, paper products and soaps/shampoos.
- Use of a 50” LCD flatscreen TV with access to your existing streaming services (guest provided)
- Access to a number of indoor and outdoor social games including horseshoes, puzzles, board games and more
Escape to the mountains with a charming twist! Each room has a unique vibe and theme to take your vacation from ordinary to extraordinary:
- Main Indoor Living Space - The “Bourbon Lounge”: Speak easily with friends and family as you enjoy the old-world charm of the main living space. Includes a 50” LCD flat screen TV with Bluetooth enabled sound bar, two traditional sitting chairs, a small fold-down futon and an electric fireplace that doubles as a space heater.
- Kitchen – The “Brewer’s Kitchen”: IP-Yay! A well-stocked full kitchen with plates and cutlery, spices, glassware for all manner of libations, and an above-average variety of cookware and appliances including a refrigerator, dishwasher, electric range, microwave, coffee maker, air fryer, etc. Enjoy a meal at a small breakfast table with 4 chairs. Laundry (small, stacked, washer and dryer) is also available in the kitchen with detergent provided by guest.
- 1st Floor Guest Bedroom – “The Gin Room”: Inspired by earthen tones and natural botanicals, this modestly sized room includes rustic wooden shiplap and flooring, a queen bed with a standing nightstand on one side and a pull-out shelf on the other, lamp lighting, and a USB and plug-in charging station. Includes a dedicated HVAC Mini-Split for this room only. Access to a full bathroom (sink, toilet, and tub/shower combo) is outside the room just off the Brewer’s Kitchen.
- Upstairs Master Bedroom – The “Master Distiller Suite”: Milo Terry’s rustic bedroom loft has remained almost entirely untouched since his time. Enjoy the spoils of a Master Distiller in a King size bed with dual nightstands that include a USB/plug-in charging station and wireless charging pad as well as individual lamp lights, a private dresser and a dedicated HVAC mini split for the entire second floor suite. Also includes access to a private bathroom ensuite (sink, toilet, and tub/shower combo).
- Outdoor Area - “Rum Runner’s Escape”: This home lays at the base of a beautiful hillside that explodes with color in the fall and provides a sense or shady peace throughout the summer. Explore the outdoors with your bootleggin’ crew as you play horseshoes and relax by a private creek, tell stories of your adventures by a natural wood fire pit (wood provided by guest), or ease your stress in a Bullfrog R8 Hot Tub and Sauna that comfortably seats 4-6 people, premium jet-pack therapy jets, an integrated waterfall, and LED lighting.
Last, but not least, we are Pet Friendly! Feel free to bring your outlaw pups on your adventure. Your stay includes 1 large and 1 small pet bed as well as a full-enclosed, fenced, backyard. Pet rent is $25/nt per pet plus tax.
Where you’ll be:
Well-located near Key Attractions:
- Downtown Boone (4 miles, 10 min drive)
- Tweetsie Railroad (8 miles, 15-20 min drive)
- Appalachian Ski Mountain (9 miles, 20 min drive)
- Downtown Blowing Rock (12 miles, 20-25 min drive)
- Hawksnest Snow Tubing and Ziplining (12 miles, 20-25 min drive)
- Sugar Mountain (14 miles, 25-30 min drive)
- Banner Elk (14 miles, 25-30 min drive)
- Grandfather Mountain and Mile High Swinging Bridge (20 miles, 40-50 min drive)
- Beech Mountain (22 miles, 40-50 min drive)
Surrounded by some great local Breweries and Restaurants:
- The Local (3 miles, 10 min drive)
- The Horton Hotel Rooftop Bar (3 miles, 10 min drive)
- Lost Province Brewing Co. (3 miles, 10 min drive)
- Appalachian Mountain Brewery (4.5 miles, 10 min drive)
- Come Back Shack (5 miles, 10-15 min drive)
- Booneshine Brewing Company (6 miles, 10-15 min drive)