Welcome to Docs Cabin!
Retreat to this mountain hideaway, perfect for the nature lovers! There are covered wrap around porches with views of the woods on one side and the mountains on the other. You can sit in the spacious 8 person hot tub on the deck and meditate with the woods all around you and at night see the milky way and constellations. In the morning you can see the glow on the mountains as the sun rises and you drink your coffee on the front deck or in the front sun room (near the fireplace in the winter). For lunch you might want to eat at the screened in picnic table with the mountains as your backdrop or watch the hummingbirds buzz around their feeders in the warmer months on the private back deck.
The two bedrooms each have comfortable queen sized beds. From the larger bedroom you can walk out on the deck to watch the sun rise, the second bedroom has an attached bathroom. A third guest or couple could sleep on the comfortable full size futon, which is located in the game room. The rest of the house has a very open floor plan. If you want to cook in our kitchen, we have all the amenities you might need from cookware and a gas stove/oven, to serving dishes and utensils. You can have dinner at the open dining room table with 4 beautiful hand made chairs (the table can seat six), in the screened in front area with the picnic table where 8 could dine with a mountain view or at the table on the back deck overlooking the woods. After dinner relax on the comfy couch in front of the gas log fireplace and watch a movie on the flat screen tv.
Drive over to Grandfather Mountain or Roan Mountain to hike, bike or drive or just walk out the front door to go for a hike and see deer, turkey, rabbits, ravens, hawks and if you are lucky, a bobcat or bear! Some of the most scenic road biking in the nation is right out the front door or if skiing/snowboarding is your thing, you are 20 minutes from Sugar Mountain or Ski Beech skiing, and just 10 minutes from one of 11 Golf Courses in Avery County! Take a drive or bike on the Blue Ridge Parkway which is only 20 miles from the cabin. You could also swim or picnic in the warmer months at the beautiful Elk River Falls, only minutes away! There are many fine restaurants in Banner Elk (6 miles away), Beech Mountain (11miles) and even Boone (ASU) is only 24 miles away.
The cabin is all on one level except the 2 sunrooms which each have a step down into them (the one overlooking the woods is where the futon is) and the bathroom off the 2nd bedroom has a step down. Most of the floors are hardwood with tongue-in-groove oak walls which gives the cozy feeling of a mountain chalet. Parking is level and the house is easily accessible for mobility challenged individuals by a ramp or three steps.
You will have a peaceful and private getaway at our home in the North Carolina mountains
- This home is pet friendly for an additional $25/night per pet, allowing up to 1 dog, max weight of 25lbs.
- Firewood for the outdoor fire pit may be added at the time of booking under "Additional Fees" after entering payment info or by reaching out to us more than a week in advance. You receive two wrapped bundles and a firestarter for $25/night plus tax.
- The main roads are plowed in winter, but 4WD or AWD vehicles are required November-March, and chains will also be necessary to access all properties in winter months.
- Please note that the owners of this home use a Ring camera to monitor the driveway of their home to ensure it remains safe when unoccupied.
- Guests returning to Docs Cabin may receive a discount of 5% to the rent, not to be combined with other discounts to the rent.